We all know what SEO means. Its an abbreviation of search engine optimization. It means to rank your website on the top position of search results
What is SEO? Why we need to do SEO?
If you want to get organic, real traffic to your website from google and other search engines, you need to make your website/blog well optimized for that.
This whole process is called SEO. We all know what SEO means. Its an abbreviation of search engine optimization. It means to rank your website / blog on the top position of search result. Everyone wants to rank their site on the top position, but for that you need to have a clear idea about SEO and do your SEO accordingly.
In simple word, by doing SEO, a website / blog gets all those important things checked off which will bring it on the top position of a search result. Being ahead in search result means more traffic and more profit, that’s why there are no alternates to SEO. SEO or search engine optimization is an ongoing process which increases the importance of a website / blog to the search engines.
Seems hard to understand? Don’t worry. In this post I will try to explain everything about SEO broadly. To understand what search engine optimization is, you need to understand what search engine is.
- As defined by Neilpatel,
SEO stands for search engine optimization. Which is the art of ranking high on a search engine in the unpaid section, also known as the organic listings
What is Search Engine?
Almost all of us know what a search engine is. We all use search engines almost everyday to search for things, products or to get help about something. Search engines brought the whole internet to our palm. The most famous search engines are Google, Yahoo, Bing, MSN, BaiDu. Search engines are designed in such a way that, it can provide search results based on users need and website’s data. You can call it a software or tool which can provide results based on word phrase.
SEO started its journey back in 1995. But now a days, there is a big difference between SEO and Search Engine. At present, Google is dominating the search engine industry by providing more or less 80% visitors to websites. The popularity of google is way more higher than its competitor companies. That is why Google search engine plays a big role in SEO. Fun fact is that, if you get your website ranked in google search engine, it’ll get a higher ranking in Yahoo, Bing also. To get your website ranked in Search engines, you have to maintain the following three points.
- On page SEO, Off page SEO.
- Keyword Research Analysis.
- Performance analysis.
We will understand everything step by step.
What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
As I said earlier, SEO is an on-going process and it’s always changing with the time. Search engines are updating every now and then and you have to keep yourself updated as well. Now, let’s get down to the main discussion about search engine optimization. Search Engine Optimization is a really big thing, So you have to keep searching all the time to get all the ideas about it.
- There are mainly two types of SEO:
- White Hat SEO
- Black Hat SEO
For now, I will discuss about white hat SEO only, because search engine gives all the importance to white hat SEO only. Black hat SEO will surely decrease your site’s ranking. There is a high chance of getting banned from search results too.
- White hat SEO has two categories:
- On Page Optimization
- Off Page Optimization
What is On Page Optimization?
On page Optimization means the works you need to do for doing SEO inside of your website / blog. Let’s see what kind of works you need to do for On Page SEO:
1. Title: Title is a website’s identity and it provides information regarding your website / blog’s niche. It is really important for SEO.
2. Keyword Research: Keyword research is one of the must do SEO factor. Suppose you want to make a website and do SEO for it, so you have to choose a keyword according to your niche. Let’s break it down, suppose you want to rank your website on top for SEO tutorial or Blogging Tutorial. So, when people will search for these terms, your website will come on top and thus you will get visitors. For that reason, you need to research keywords and find perfect long tail or short tail keywords for your website. You can use various tools like “Google AdWord keyword tools"
3. Meta Tag: We will use various HTML meta tags. You create meta tags with your keywords, site description etc. This is the part what search engine crawler will see first when they visit your site and will get the full idea about what your website is and how to index it in the search engine. There are various websites which will generate meta tags for you. Just search “Meta tag generator” in google.
4. Search Engine Submission: If you want to get your website indexed in search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, you need to submit it to search engines through their individual webmaster tools.
5. Sitemap: You have to make a sitemap and submit it in search engine
What is Off Page Optimization?
Off page Optimization is the works that you do outside of your website / blog. It is just as important as On Page SEO. To get your website / blog popular and make it get ranked higher by the search engines, Off Page SEO Is the only way. There are various kinds of Off Page SEO works, like the followings:
Off-page SEO refers to ranking factors that are outside of your website itself. While some of these elements are outside of your direct control, there are steps you can take to impact them if you’re focused. A good off-page SEO strategy will grow brand awareness, boost engagement with your content, and highlight how relevant your site is to SERP users.Many of the choices you make in your on-page SEO strategy will also affect how well your off-page SEO is overall. That’s why at the beginning of the post we talked about changing your thinking from on-page versus off-page SEO to on-page AND off-page SEO
1. Backlinks: You need to create quality back links for your website. Backlink means putting your website’s url in other website by making comments, guest posts etc. Always try to create backlinks on popular websites with higher page ranks.
2. Social Sharing: We all use social medias now a days. It is one of the best place to get visitors from. You can share your website, posts in facebook, twitter etc.
3. Social Bookmarking: Bookmarking your website / blog in social bookmarking site.
That's all for today. I hope this helped you to understand the very basics of what SEO is and how it works. If you still have any questions regarding SEO and SEO related stuffs, don't hesitate to leave a comment below. Thank you for reading the post, do share the post with your friends.